When was the last time you wore a brassiere not under your clothes, but over them? Well, if that sounds ridiculous, let the question be rephrased to, 'When was the last time you turned an old brassiere into a handbag?' Most probably, never. However, this is a simple DIY task that women must try out. Not only does the bra-purse prove a quirky and unusual accessory, but is also a great way to do your bit for the environment and reuse old items to minimize waste on a larger level.The bra-purse is also a cute way to forward the noble cause of breast cancer and generate awareness about the same. Just follow these simple steps to make one on your own.
1. Old bra
2. A pair of scissors
4. Sewing kit
5. Ribbons or other decoration
The main item needed for this accessory is an old bra. Other fringes or decorations that you may need to buy will cost you less than $20.
1. Carefully cut the broader back-straps along the curve of the bra-cup. Cut the straps from as close to the cup as possible but do not spoil the cup. Keep these straps aside for you shall need them later to use as the handles of the bag.
2. Stick the two cups of the bra together. Glue along the bottom wire line. If you want to sew the cups together with the underwire in, use an overcast stitch that winds around the wire or straight stitch, a few centimeters from above the underwire.
3. Leave an opening at the top side to that's large enough to accommodate your belongings. The opening should be left at the point where the straps were attached to the bra.
4. Stitch the sides of the bra. Use the straight stitch for this step.
5. Glue the straps back to form the strings/handles. Use the actual bra-straps for the purse to resemble the bra. Attach them to the top of the bra.
6. Embellish your bra purse with ribbons or fringes. Use beads or sequins to add a touch of elegance. For breast cancer awareness, use special breast cancer pins or even a message on a piece of cloth pinned to your bra.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Question. What if the bra I am using is strapless?
Answer. Simple. Use ribbons to make your straps. Glue the handles into the inside edge of the cup.
2. Question. Will my items be secure in this purse?
Answer. If you glue the cups together, there is a chance that the glue comes off. It is a better option to sew the cups together. This will hold them intact and your belongings will be safe.
3. Question. Will I look weird carrying this purse?
Answer. Well, that is a personal choice but there is nothing weird about being open and creative. Not only is the bra-purse a very unusual, fun piece to carry, but is inspired by the noble cause of breast cancer. A lot of women are actively using this idea to promote the spirit of womanhood.
1. Use patterned bikini bras to give an interesting look to your purse.
2. Use a padded bra to give the purse an impressive volume. Otherwise it shall sit flaccid.
3. Use enough glue to support the items you are going to carry. Too much of glue is bad too, as it will end up sealing the pouch that is to be made.
4. Use heavy duty glue or sew your bra purse to make it secure.
5. Use a glue gun for proper application around the under wire, in case it is an under wire bra.
Things to watch out for
1. If you have used sequins or beads that might come off, keep away from the reach of children under 5.
2. Don't use decorations that can get entangled with things while you are walking.
3. The bra-purse makes a bold statement. Be sure to use it tactfully and do not carry it at a religious gathering or a formal function.