If you would want to be creative, there is no need for you to rush for some training classes. Creativity is all about tuning your grey cells and coming up with some designs that would simply stand out. You can add your own style and creative touch to almost everything around you. You need to develop an eye for creativity and see where this new hobby of yours would land you in. One such aspect where you can add-in your own style is to convert your very own old jeans into a splashing and attractive vintage – look jeans. You have the scope to add a brown tinge to your old and faded jeans right at home. If you are tired of wearing the same jeans and have an obligation of buying new pair each time the trend changes, then here is a solution that can make you happy. Without being a burden on your pocket there are ways with which you can stun all around you by posing with a unique self designed jeans. All this is possible only by dipping your old jeans in a coffee mixture! If this sound interesting read on to know the process that you need to follow to give your jeans a vintage feel.
Complexity level: Medium
Time required: 30 Minutes.
1. Coffee grounds - 2 bags
4. Rope to tie the stockings.
5. Hot water
6. Washing machine and dryer.
1. Arrange for the material to prepare the dye: Take two bags of espresso coffee grounds (About 10 oz each). Take a bucket that can store 3-5 gallons of liquid. Make a filter using stockings, by cutting the stockings and filling it with coffee grounds. Tie the top of the stockings tightly.
2. Prepare the dye: Place the stockings filled with coffee grounds into the bucket. Fill about 3/4th of the bucket with hot water. Ensure that there would be enough room for the jeans to be dipped into the bucket, without water being spilled over.
3. Let the coffee brew: Remember that the darker is the brew, the darker is the color. Hence let the brew for 15-20 minutes.
4. Leave the jeans overnight in the bucket: Drop in your jeans in the bucket and leave it overnight to soak in the coffee brew.
5. Next day, wash and dry your jeans: After soaking the jeans overnight in the coffee brew, remove your jeans from the bucket, put them in the washing machine for washing and drying. Your very own unique tinge of light brown color has been successfully added onto your old jeans giving it a complete Vintage look!
Now you can good bye to all your old and worn out jeans and without spending too much you can convert your wardrobe with a collection of jeans with hip and vintage look. Add your own touch of imagination to each and every piece and enjoy the wow’s that you get to hear from your friends.
Frequently asked questions:
Can there be any other decorations that can go-in with the vintage look of the jeans?
You can use various accessories to accentuate the vintage look of your jeans. For example,
i. Have some random cuts with a pair of scissors, exactly in the position that your jeans would fit on your knee.
ii. Run your jeans over under your car, so that it could leave tyer impressions giving it a good look.
iii. Rub a cheese grater on your jeans to give you small abrasion like texture.
iv. You could also decorate with random objects near pockets, like some coins mint tins etc.
These are sample ideas; you can add your own touch while designing your creation.
While coloring the jeans, is it necessary to use fresh coffee grounds?
No, you could also make use of expired coffee grounds too. You use coffee only for the color.
For the bucket that you would use to soak your jeans in the coffee brew, you can get one from local ice cream store for free.
Things to watch out for :
1. Be prepared for a continued aroma of coffee coming out of your jeans even after few washes.
2. If you are very particular about the shade that you want on your jeans, you have an option of monitoring the color of the brew for every half an hour. Once you arrive at your desired color for your jeans, you can immediately soak the jeans in the coffee brew.