It is simple and easy to change a knee-length dress into a stylish and trendy short dress or an appealing and gaudy skirt for a child. Also, you can add bubble effect in your skirt that will give your dress a great look. For that, you have to tuck the hemline of the skirt against the waist of the dress to create a bubble effect. Mostly, a colored ribbon is used to hide the stitches around the waistline that makes it look colorful and beautiful. Just broaden the scope of your creativity and you can easily transform a plain dress into a bubble skirt. To make a bubble skirt from a knee-length dress doesn't demand for special skills. It requires little knowledge of dressing and sewing. Below is the process of how to transform a knee-length dress into a bubble skirt. Read on.
Complexity Level: Average
Time Required: One and an half hour
1. Lay down the dress on the work surface: The first step to make a bubble skirt from a dress is to lay down the dress on the work surface inside out and bottom hem facing towards you.
2. Untie the hem: Open the bottom hem with seam ripper. Untying the bottom hem makes the waistline of the dress look less bulky. If you are in a hurry then you can skip this step and proceed to next step but the skirt will look bulky.
3. Fold the hemline: In this step, fold the hemline of the dress to the waist. Now pin the hem to the waistline and collect the opened fabric from the bottom hem as you require during stitching.
4. Stitch the hemline: Remove the pins from the hem and sew the hem to the waistline by machine stitch. After it, iron the hem to keep the fabric flat.
5. Check seam of the skirt: Now, turn the dress right side out and see that seam stitches are not visible. If stitches are visible then gauge the circumference of the skirt where hem is fixed now. Cut a 1 inch wide ribbon into 24 inches.
6. Add the ribbon: Fold the ribbon half of its length and pin it on the front, center and back over the top of the seam line and leave the remaining ribbon hanging from the back side. Now, sew the ribbon on the front and side edges. And, make bow of the hanging ribbon at the back side.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to wash bubble dress?
To wash the bubble dress, you have to take care of one thing that is you have to use lukewarm water and ammonia free detergent for washing. To protect the fabric from shrinking and bowling, avoid hot water or cold water. Be careful about ironing the bubble dress. Very hot iron ruins the bubble effect of the dress. Therefore, use iron at medium heat to maintain its bubble effect.