Attaching a veil to a hat is synonymous to adding icing on the cake. Veil adds panache to a woman’s look and flatters her with flamboyance. Hats are in fashion these days and experimenting different styles of hats are always appreciated. Women had the habit of taking a veil from a very long time. This used to add ample amount of sophistication and gave a very classy look. Sometimes hats are also considered to be status symbols. That is why all care is taken to adorn it with flair. The veils which are attached to the hat are delicate and can be torn but you can always attach a veil to the hat if you know the right technique.
Read on to know about how to do this and even if you don’t have a veil attached you can learn to do it by following these instructions:
45 to 60 minutes
1. Half yard of netting
4. Stick pins
5. Same colored thread as that of the netting
1. Remove the torn netting from the hat
The netting which has got torn needs to be removed with the scissor so that you can replace it with a new veil. Take care while you are cutting the net as the hat may also get damaged with the scissor.
2. Take measurement of the new netting according to the hat
Now, get the new netting and measure it according to the requirement of the hat. Then pin it up to the top of the hat or at the same place where the old one was attached.
3. Cut netting according to desired length
Now, it’s your wish, how much face area you want to veil. The standard size is underneath the nose or to the chin. So choose one size and get the net according to it. Make sure the net is cut properly and not in a zigzag way, this would ruin the entire work.
4. Sew the netting to the hat
First take a needle and thread it. Then put the hat in your hand and start sewing the net according to the way you have pinned. Keep the netting pinned so that it stays in place while the sewing work is being done.
5. Use a hand stitch
You can also sew the netting with the help of a hand stitch. Start from side of the hat to the top. You can use half inch stitch back through the netting of the hat.
6. Make sure the netting is secure
You have to do the stitching till the time you feel that the veil has been perfectly fixed to the hat. Once the stitching has been perfectly done, just remove the pins. And it’s all set to dazzle your hat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What should be the color of the net if the hat is black in color?
A. The net should be white or golden colored.
Q. Can a veil hat be worn with for any occasion?
A. No, it’s not that you need to wear for every occasion. Never wear this on cocktail parties.
1. You can always add an inch to the netting’s length if you are planning to add a hem at the bottom of the netting to make it more beautiful.
2. While doing the stitching, it is possible that some wear and tear can take place so you will require sewing the small tears.
Things to watch out for
1. Don’t cut the hat with the scissor while cutting the net.
2. Caution should be taken while stitching as the hand may get hurt.