Flats, the best alternative to stilettos and platforms, are considered the ultimate footwear. And scarves too are regarded as the timeless yet stylish accessory. So, what happens when both the exquisite accouterments are laced together? Well, we get a preppy accessory that is not only picturesque, but also complementary for a prefect spring makeover. Want to make some stylish footwear for the next day-out with your gal pals? Then, get your creativity together and give a killer edge to your old-school flats!
Less than one hour
1. A pair of flats
3. A pair of scissors
4. An old scarf
5. A needle
Unless you don’t own a scarf, the total cost incurred in this project will not exceed more than 5 USD.
1. Cutting down the scarf into strips
Firstly, split down your scarf into four regular pieces. Fold them in half and stitch them up altogether. Flip the sides, so that you get a scarf tube for sewing it on the flats.
2. Sewing the strips or pieces
Now, sew those little pieces into tubes. If you don’t have a sewing machine, you can also stitch it up by using your hands. When you are done stitching up the tubes, begin sewing up the fabrics to your flats in the form of a cute little bow.
3. Stitching up the bow to the flats
After you have given your scarf a perfect bow shape, carefully stitch both the sides of the bow to your flats. Cut the remaining sides of scarf tube in case it is too long.
4. Alternative method for a less frayed up look
Instead of giving your flats a wrinkled up look, you can also go for a sleek appearance for your shoes. All you have to do is to cut the scarf thin, i.e. less wider size, and then repeat the following instructions followed by an additional step. In this step, you have to glue your scarf from back to the front and then structure the scarf into a bow shape. Let the glue dry out in the sunlight before wearing them on.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Should I use a pair of glittery flats for making my footwear look more glamorous?
Answer. Either you use a pair of glittery flats or a pair of printed flats, scarves will blend with both of them perfectly. However, we recommend using flats that are simple and have prints on them for better result.
1. To induce more femininity in your flats, try using colorful vintage scarf instead of using a mono-color scarf.
2. Use your old ballerina flat and an old printed scarf for more dramatic effect.
Things to watch out for
1. Cut the scarf into pieces that are wide enough, so that it doesn’t get chaotic while folding them in half.
2. Using thimble is recommended, for you can run the risk of stabbing your hands with the needle.
3. Don’t wear the flats until the glue you have applied onto its upper part is properly dried out.