This project deals with making a detachable mirrored collar for a chic look. The inspiration behind this project has been a pair of prismatic shoes. A designed detachable collar can be worn in combination with many shirts.
45 to 60 minutes
An old CD, or two, depending on how much surface you want to cover.
Basin/Old Container that can fit the CD nicely. (You might want to throw this away when you're done)
A pair of scissors (that you're, preferably, willing to part with)
1. The collar of the unwanted shirt should be carefully cut out. Cut it in such a way so that it can be easily attached to another shirt, that is, with some extra cloth on the fringe. If you are designing the collar just for fun, do not include the extra cloth. It will give the collar a clumsy look.
2. Next, keep the CDs in the old container or basin and carefully, using a cup, pour some boiling water into the container. Leave the CDs for about a couple of minutes in the hot water. You can go and watch some commercials by the time the water acts on the CDs. Or if you are preparing this before a party, you can easily go and get your shoes polished.
3. Use the chopstick to pick out the CDs from the container. The CDs will be very hot being left in the hot water. And for that purpose the chopstick comes handy.
4. Try to peel your CD into two layers. You will find the reflective side easily separating from the other side. It is for this purpose that they were soaked in the hot water. At times you will find the reflective side of the CD to be translucent. But that will not be a problem at all.
5. Now cut the CD into angular shapes and place them in a design on the collar to see if it appeals to your taste. Sometimes it looks good when the pieces cut are small.
6. When you arrive at a design that pleases you, use the glue to stick the pieces on the collar according to the design.
1. Keep a bottle of nail polish remover handy. It will help you to remove the glue from your hand.
2. Other than angular shapes, you can cut the CD into small square pieces and design only the border of the collar. You can also cut out small triangular pieces for a different look.
3. If you are wearing the designed collar, use it on a single color shirt so that it highlights the design of the collar.
Things to watch out for
1. Before working on the CDs, make sure that they are not hot enough to scald your hand.
2. Do not use the scissors to cut all the way through the CDs. It will spoil the whole CD and it will come to no good use.
3. If you have few CDs in hand or only two, be careful while peeling them because a careless move can spoil or break them in the middle.
4. Random sticking of the pieces of CD will destroy your design. Always take a final look by placing the pieces on the collar before sticking them.