We quite know, how much you adore the fold over clutches, a must have for your handbag collection. Well, the good news is that you wouldn't need to play around with your budget to get one. We have put together simple steps for you to make a fold over clutch at home. It isn't all that difficult to have your own, chic and stylish clutch. Just get together the list of required materials and you would soon have your very own fold-over clutch. Read on
5 to 6 hours
Depends on the kind of fabric you use as well as zippers and snap closures, embellishments if required.
1. A half yard of fabric, leather or faux suede.
2. A half yard of coordinating cotton print for the inner lining.
3. A half yard of quilt batting in cotton fabric.
4. Preferably KK 2000 spray adhesive.
5. Sulky Transfer Markers.
6. 5 brass rings from the hardware store for the embellishment.
7. Conventional sewing thread.
9. Monofilament thread.
10. A sharp scissor.
1. Mark and cut the design outline
Mark an outline on each of the fabrics. The fabric measurements should be taken at 15 X 29 inches. After this, take the scissor and cut out the marked panels with care, ensuring that each piece of fabric is cut through.
2. Paste, paste, paste!
Taking the adhesive, spray on the backside of the suede. Next, spray the backside of the quilt batting. Next, lay the adhesive side of the suede to the top adhesive side of the quilt batting and paste them together by gently swiping over them with the hand. Ensure that no wrinkles are visible on the surface by smoothing the fabric out.
3. Trim. Tuck and stitch
Taking the pins, tuck in the two edges together securely. Holding this piece together, stitch across at the width center of the two layered panels together. Next, you place together the right sides of the quilted suede panel to the cotton lining and pin the edges up. Stitch around the 15 inch width of both ends together through all the layers of fabrics. Then turn this right side out and gently press the newly sewn edges together.
4. Keep folding and sewing across
With right side of the suede facing itself, fold the panel in half with the cotton lining facing out. Then pin up the sides together and sew each side seam. Next, fold each bottom corner against itself and sew an inch in from the point of the triangle to make square corners on the bottom of the bag. Then turn the bag suede side out, fold the bag in half and using a pressing cloth, steam press firmly.
5. Time for some creative action
Decorate the front of the bag with different material you would have collected for the purpose. For the brass rings, use the monofilament thread, sew in the brass rings to the front of the bag by setting the sewing machine to a wide zigzag and a zero stitch length.
Frequently asked questions
Question. How can I attach a zipper or closure if required?
Answer. Your zipper should be the same length as the opening of your bag. You can align your zipper to the top edges of your fabric pieces together before sewing in the other pieces. If you are using interfacing locks, then fuse or baste them to the wrong sides of the fabrics, positioning them within the margins of your seams allowances for the opening.
1. Always try out a rough design before you begin.
2. Sew in the hems and sides securely particularly around the zipper opening.
3. Always press down the inner lining so that all the seams are made invisible.
4. Sew up any loose threads which will appear untidy.
5. You can always opt for a fuss free design to begin with.
Things to watch out for
1. Be careful to baste in snap interfaces properly and cover it over with the lining material before the rest is sewn in.
2. While attaching the zippers, always encase the sides of the zippers first before they are attached to the main fabrics.
3. Keep different size teeth needles for the sewing machine as needles tend to break at times when too much material is stuffed together.
4. The embellishment on the main front body of the bag, if required such as beads and studs have to be attached first before the quilting and lining fabrics are sewn together.
5. Work in a quiet space where no kids are around as the spray adhesive is pretty strong.